Hot tubs equipped with a chlorine sanitation system are easy to use and maintain. Follow the steps below to make sure your system is operating and providing the best quality water.
Fresh water (FW) products are the water care products which Mainely Tubs recommends for complete synchronization and sanitation.
Chemical Start Up (for new water):
- Balance total alkalinity/pH
- Balance calcium hardness.
- Add ½ oz to 1 oz of Freshwater Chlorinating Granules
- Wait 1 day
- Check and adjust pH level as needed.
After Each Use: Add ¼ oz to ½ oz Freshwater Chlorinating Granules (depending on gallon size of hot tub)
Once a Week:
- Wipe down the water line with a non-abrasive scrub pad
- Check total alkalinity and pH using Freshwater 5-Way Test Strips. Adjust with Freshwater pH/Alkalinity Up or Freshwater pH/Alkalinity Down as needed, following the directions on the bottle
- Check FCl (Free Chlorine) level and add ½ oz to 1 oz Freshwater Chlorinating Granules, as needed
- Super oxidize the spa by adding 2 to 3 ounces of Freshwater MPS Chlorine-Free Oxidizer (shock)
- On a different day than you do the preceding steps (we suggest the next day), add 2 ounces of Freshwater Stain and Scale
- Rotate filters
Once a Month:
- Remove filter(s) and clean using Freshwater Instant Filter Clean, following the directions on the bottle. Be sure to thoroughly rinse filters to remove all trace of cleaner. It is highly recommended your filter to be cleaned no less than once per month
- Clean the cover surface with Freshwater Cover Shield
- Follow directions for once a week treatment
An extra set of filters will make this process easier
Every 4-6 Months (depending on water quality):
- Terminate power to the spa
- Completely drain the spa per the instructions found in your owner’s manual
- If needed, clean interior of the spa using Freshwater SpaShine Hot Tub Shell Cleaner (not necessary on Freeflow tubs) and a non-abrasive scrub pad
- Refill the spa using a garden hose placed directly into the gray-capped filter standpipe
- REPLACE the Continuous Ion Sanitizer Cartridge with a new unit
- Make certain the spa is circulating before allowing the heater to operate
** ONLY DRAIN & REFILL WHEN TEMPERATURES ARE ABOVE 40F **
- You may need to shock with Freshwater MPS Chlorine-Free Oxidizer more often if use is high
- To suppress foaming while in the tub use, Freshwater Defoamer.
- For oily films, soap, or heavier bather loads (cloudy water), use Bright & Clear.
- To remove excess, build up in the plumbing lines use Jet Clean prior to draining, follow directions on the bottle.
- For an extra deep clean you can use Freshwater Hot Tub Filter Cleaner overnight soak
All recommendations are based on 1-2 people; 2 times per week for a 20 minute soak